Notable towns in this region include
Puglia is Italy's most southeastern region. Thanks to it's flat fertile landscape and beautiful climate Puglia is the most productive area in Italy for both olive oil and wine.
This area is dotted with cathedrals, castles and Greek and Roman ruins as you would find in other parts, much of the architecture in Puglia is unique to the region including the Lecce baroque style, characterised by ornate stone carvings, and the "Trulli" which are small, round domed buildings.
Places to see
- Alberobello - Home of the Trulli
- Lecce - Home of the Lecce Baroque style of architecture
- Lucera - Fortezza Angioina, pentagonal castle with 24 towers along a half mile of perimeter walls.
- Foggia -Gothic cathedral
- Siponto - church of Santa Maria, surrounded by Roman ruins.
- Barletta - Romanesque cathedral and a Colossus statue
- Castel del Monte